I get in line and Jeff gives me the liquor policy form to sign for the umpteenth time. I skim it, sign my name and go up to the scary looking El Al security guard. I answer the standard questions and get to the one that I knew would be the most trouble: Where are you going from Israel? "Jordan, Egypt, Greece and Turkey" I reply, getting giddy with excitement now that I've realized my vacation has finally arrived.
The big man in front if me doesn't look too happy with my reply. "Egypt and Jordan? Interesting choices... Why did you pick those?"
I do my best to hold back my exasperation. "Hiking, and I've heard the pyramids are beautiful and I don't know when I'll get a chance to be in the region again. So I had to seize the opportunity."
His suspicion turns to jealousy and I'm through, on the plane in my cushy economy class seat, and off to Israel. 11 hours later here I am!
Hebrew word of the day, adventure: הרפתקה (harpatka)
New Hebrew word for you! (I'm going to attempt to give you totally useless ones).
ReplyDeleteFork: מזלג (mazleg)
I remember, because I stuck a fork in mazleg!
ReplyDeleteThat's why you were late! I had a voicemail from Birthright wondering why you weren't at the airport. I knew you'd make it. I figured you were probably hung over from a farewell party. I didn't figure on the maple syrup. Hope they liked them!
ReplyDelete